What is your opinion of the large dowers and expensive parties and honeymoons that cost a great deal of money? Does the Shariah approve of such things?
Having very expensive dowers and extravagant wedding parties is something that goes against the Shariah. The marriage which has the greatest blessing is the one with lesser financial burden. Any time the burdens are lessened, the blessings are increased.
This is a matter that is many times caused by women. Women are the ones that often insist upon their husbands to set very high dower [for their daughter]. If a lesser dower is offered, they will say their daughter is deserving of such and such. Furthermore, expensive and luxurious wedding parties are prohibited by the Shariah, they fall under the command of the verse.
”But be not extravagant. Verily, He loves not those who are extravagant ”
(Surah Al-Anam 7:141)
Again, many times it is the women who force their husbands to do such things. They say that so and so’s party they had this and that. However, such gatherings must be according to the Shariah. The person should not spend what is beyond his means. He must also never be extravagant for Allah has prohibited extravagance.
”Verily, He loves not those who are extravagant.”
(Surah Al-Anam 7:141)
Honeymoons are worse and even more evil. This is because they are an imitation of the non-Muslims. They are a waste of lots of wealth. It also leads to people being lax with respect to their religious duties when such honeymoons take place in non-Muslim areas. The people come back with customs and behaviour that are harmful for them and for the Muslim community. This is something that is to be feared for the Ummah. However there is no harm, Allah Willing, if a man travels with his wife to make Umrah or to visit Madinah.
— Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (rahimahullah)
[Source: Islamic Fatawa Regarding Women - Darussalam Pg. 193-194]Posted 1 year ago with 32 notes
- ninfodora likes this
- sabrofaseapearl reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- theperfectdeen reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- fuati likes this
- naram-garam-br0wnies likes this
- zaheer-qalb reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- sabrofaseapearl likes this
- rare-gem reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- ummjamilerrahmen likes this
- phreshh2deathh likes this
- true-colourss likes this
- theperfectdeen likes this
- itsbaijohairadcoro reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- ahmar-red likes this
- al-fawaid reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- fearsandhopes likes this
- putreesalad likes this
- ummuahmads reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- littleakhwat reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- selhattab likes this
- breatheinsimplicity likes this
- mkhan111 reblogged this from pearlsofislam
- mkhan111 likes this
- munasremedy likes this
- faruhanu likes this
- pearlsofislam posted this